Cat 5 extended run?

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Wed Mar 13 10:54:50 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2013 03:46 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
>
> I was always under the impression that every node that you add to a mesh
> network that cannot directly see a node elsewhere in the mesh will half
> your current bandwidth.
>
> I know that a simple repeater halves your bandwidth because it has to
> listen, then transmit, then listen, then transmit.  Doubles the amount
> of data that is transmitted, effectively. If the repeater can overlap
> it's transmission with receiving, then maybe that decrease would be
> minimized.

http://meshdynamics.com/performance-analysis.html

Mesh dynamics products don't have this limitation. Here's a good
diagram illustrating this exact problem that you mention. They use 3
antennas, two for backhaul (up and down), all on non-interfering
channels resulting in much higher bandwidth shared equally among all
nodes regardless of hops from the root station.