Quantum teleportation, FTL, and causality; was Re: Cat 5 extended run?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 18:06:38 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
>> For the Mormons here - how does this square with your religious beliefs?
>
> You mean the fact that Levi believes FTL information transfer is impossible? Not too bad.

No, I mean the fact that FTL travel (as well as time travel in
general) would create causality violations.  If you believe in a deity
that can travel and communicate faster than light and also travel
through time, how do you make the two match up?  Is it just a matter
of not bothering to try (the Lord works in mysterious ways, etc.) or
do you attempt to come up with some explanation or justification for
all of this?

It seems like the easiest explanation would be to hand-wave it away
and say that God created the universe but exists outside of it, so the
constraints of physics don't apply to him.  That seems like cheating
though - and anyway, if I recall my D&C correctly, God is supposedly
bound by the laws of nature just as much as we are.

Regardless, is it possible to have a deity that is bound by physics
but is still a deity?  Or do we have to postulate some sort of
"sufficiently advanced technology" to make it happen?

Maybe this should be in a separate thread...

-Dan