Quantum teleportation, FTL, and causality; was Re: Cat 5 extended run?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 17:12:46 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Jonathan Duncan
<jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2013, at 13:53, Levi Pearson wrote:
>
>> Quantum teleportation, although instantaneous, still requires classical
>> information transfer in order to interpret the teleported quantum state.
>> Still no FTL information transfer.
>>

> Not yet.

Not ever.  If FTL information transfer is invented, it will not be via
quantum teleportation.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem for why.  There
are some interesting things you can do with quantum mechanics with
regard to cryptography, though.

I don't think FTL information transfer is possible, though, because
Einstein's theories of relativity have been experimentally verified to
a great degree, and they show that if signals could propagate faster
than light, you could easily create some serious causality violations.
 As much as I like time travel stories, I just don't think physics
works that way.

      --Levi