Cat 5 extended run?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Mar 12 16:11:38 MDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 03:46 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> If you were to build a wireless mesh network in a 32 home subdivision
> what access points would you use as repeaters?  I'm looking at the
> venerable Linksys WRT54GL and thinking throwing a custom firmware
> would be a good option, but that thing is getting a bit long in the
> tooth.

Personally I'd stay clear of re-purposed consumer grade equipment and go
for something rated for outdoor use. Ubiquiti has been putting out some
great products at really good prices. If you can put up an antenna
somewhere with line of site to all the locations, I'd consider one of these:

http://www.balticnetworks.com/ubiquiti-airmax-5ghz-ptmp-omni-directional-mid-range-link-starter-kit.html

Be sure to check on the wireless frequency restrictions with your local
government though. What's legal here may not be there.

Corey