Cat 5 extended run?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Mar 12 16:00:05 MDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 07:00 AM, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:50 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been asked to salvage a project where someone laid cat 5 to all
>> the houses in a neighborhood but didn't seem to have a concept of
>> signal loss in long runs of cat 5.
>> Assuming this is a max of 250m from the head end, is there an
>> amplifier or relay or something that can be placed at the end points
>> to mitigate the packet loss issues?
>
> You could always put in a small DSLAM at the head end, and cheap DSL
> modems on the far end, and treat the CAT-5 as CAT-3... While not
> ideal, I've seen it work well in lots of cases.

That would certainly work. ADSL2+ can do speeds up to 25mbps, but the
uplink is still low. VDSL can do up to 100mbps by 50mbps. Something like
this:

http://www.zhone.com/products/MX-160_260/
http://www.zhone.com/products/cpe/vdsl2/

But that gear isn't cheap, so I'd investigate pulling fiber before
committing to DSL.

Corey