Cat 5 extended run?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 15:46:09 MDT 2013

To answer the questions about conduit.  Yes it's sort of in conduit.
They ran 1/2 inch pvc.  Running fiber by using the existing cat 5 to
pull is an option I hadn't considered.  However pricing fiber out here
(Ecuador AND rural even by Ecuadorian standards), it may be cheaper to
just bust up the curbs and/or stick in DSLAMs.
Another alternative since the ground is flat and the houses are spaced
at a fairly even distance may be just to build a wireless mesh network
and call it good.
I was kind of hoping to reuse the existing infrastructure if possible though.

If you were to build a wireless mesh network in a 32 home subdivision
what access points would you use as repeaters?  I'm looking at the
venerable Linksys WRT54GL and thinking throwing a custom firmware
would be a good option, but that thing is getting a bit long in the
tooth.