Video Cards

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Tue Mar 12 13:43:36 MDT 2013

newer slots are backwards compatible (1.0 card in a 2.0 slot) but often not forward compatible (2.0 card in a 1.0 slot) even with firmware, as the chipset needs to support the newer speeds and protocol changes.  Of course, some cards will also negotiate and slow themselves down to what the slot will handle (2.0 card pretending to be a 1.0 card in a 1.0 slot).

It all depends on the hardware, and in general the cheap hardware doesn't always play that nice.

-Steve