Video Cards

Matt Melvin rage_311 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:56:40 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Daniel Fussell <dfussell at byu.edu> wrote:
> Thanks, good to know.  I'd wondered about that when I first started
> looking.  The materials I found at the time gave me the impression that
> newer slots could support older cards, but the reverse was not
> necessarily true.

In my personal experience, I have run into this; an older Athlon 64
board with a PCI-E 1.0 slot wouldn't accept a PCI-E 2.0 card.  I don't
know if this is always the case, but I wanted to let you know that
I've seen it in person.  Since the slots are physically identical, it
seems like this issue might be solved with motherboard firmware
updates, but I couldn't even explore that option, as the board was an
Epox and they went under not long after I bought it.