libkeyutils rootkits for RPM based distros?

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Tue Mar 12 11:53:17 MDT 2013

I am not sure how they are triggering for that email; I got one for a customer we no longer have, and it had taken Cirt over three months to send it out (based on how long they had not been a customer).

I do know it has been a common root kit lately (as seen in that webhostingtalk thread below), and a lot of cpanel customers were getting compromised with it.

** (spoiler alert if you want to read that entire thread) **

Seems cpanel support make people give them root access to login and fix things for their customers, and rumor is that one of their support personnel was running an infected windows with a key logger.  Whomever was getting the passwords was then installing this root kit.

Aka, never give anyone root access on your servers, and if you have to violate that rule, give them a key that you can revoke.