Cat 5 extended run?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 10:58:49 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I've been asked to salvage a project where someone laid cat 5 to all
> the houses in a neighborhood but didn't seem to have a concept of
> signal loss in long runs of cat 5.
> Assuming this is a max of 250m from the head end, is there an
> amplifier or relay or something that can be placed at the end points
> to mitigate the packet loss issues?

I happen to be aware of a non-standard Ethernet PHY made by Broadcom
that can handle these kinds of distances (up to 500m) and is
compatible with standard Ethernet as well.  It's called BroadR-Reach:
https://www.broadcom.com/products/Physical-Layer/BroadR-Reach-PHYs/ .
They originally announced it in 2007 for long-distance wiring runs
over cheap wiring for hotels, apartments, etc.  But it's recently been
re-targeted for automotive ethernet use, since it gets you 100Mbit/s
over a single twisted pair.

Unfortunately, I don't know how you'd find actual products that use it
that would fit your needs, though I imagine some must exist.  Good
luck!

     --Levi