Cat 5 extended run?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Mar 12 01:03:40 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Assuming this is a max of 250m from the head end, is there an
> amplifier or relay or something that can be placed at the end points
> to mitigate the packet loss issues?

You can't add anything to the ends of the run and make it work. It
would have to be in the middle. And it would need to be powered. I've
seen PoE based extenders that power the first 100m to the center of
the run. They power a little micro switch-like thing to extend the
haul. I've never used them.

Was there any conduit? If so, the CAT5 would be *perfect* to help pull
fiber to each home :)

Gabe