Hard Disk device IDs in Linux

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 00:28:47 MDT 2013

*> There are people that will try to convince you to skip LVM and use ZFS,*

*> but everyone I know that was using ZFS took off to the Great White*

*> North. ;-)*

* *

*Problem with LVM is it doesn't offer any failover protection that I am
aware of. I admit I have not looked at lvm in some time, but last I looked
the way it worked was as soon as any device in the group failed the entire
group failed. And while it is possible (with some work) to recover the
information from non-failed devices, the info that was on the failed device
is lost forever (unless you have a good recent backup). That's why I was
looking at using mdadm to create a RAID 6 or something. The combination of
capacity is good, but I need the failover protection too.*

* *

*As far as partitions go, don't you need to at least partition a drive
before you can add it to a lvm group? I was under the impression you did.
If that's the case, then you'd at least need some kind of fdisk (maybe
cfdisk), wouldn't you? :)*

* *

*--- Dan*