Infrastructure Monitoring

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon Mar 11 10:35:43 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> I'm just looking for input on what you've used and liked. Are there
> other solutions that we should consider?

I've been using Nagios forks/clones exclusively for 10+ years.  I'm
curious about others like yourself, but it has to be great to get past
my big barrier to entry (tons of custom Nagios plugins).

Here's what I have used:
* Nagios Core 3.0 - The granddaddy of course.  Built-in web UI is
barely capable.  Community experience is incredible.
* Icinga - Nagios fork.  Web UI is more powerful, decent mobile
interface.  API for other interfaces.  Decent, but slightly unwieldy
IMHO.
* NagiosXI - Enterprise Nagios. Complicated Web UI, though
customizable. Mobile interface.  Configuration Web UI that is nearly
feature complete, but ugly and painful for old Nagios pros.  Nice
built-in reported from the perf-data in your nagios plugins.

Shinken sounds very interesting.  I'd be curious to hear about your
exploits with it.