Infrastructure Monitoring

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Mar 11 09:07:13 MDT 2013

On 03/09/2013 08:42 PM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
>> Still using Zenoss and still loving it. Haven't really looked at
>> recent alternatives, but then I haven't needed to either.
>
> Last time this came up I asked, "Why do you loved it"?  Would you also
> share what you might *not* like about it?

It's supposed to automatically detect which nodes connect to which other
ones. I think that mostly depends on a IP subnet calculation, which for
my network just doesn't work. Consequently the alert suppression also
doesn't work and the map is a huge mess.

Writing native Zenoss plugins has thus far been beyond my skill. I'm not
actually a Python hacker, so that may not be Zenoss's fault. Instead I
typically roll a Nagios-style check script and it works fine but it
pains me to see all those forks.

The way alert management is handled seems backwards. Instead of creating
an alert and then assigning it to users or groups, you create the alert
on the user or group. That means you can't re-use it for another user.
Some of mine are rather complicated with escalations and what-not so
that's an annoyance. Apparently this has been improved in version 4.

> Have you upgraded to the 4.2.x version?

No, and that's another gripe. I installed it on Debian, but they dropped
support for anything except RHEL and clones so now I'm kinda stuck. I
really wanted the IPv6 support too.

> Do you use the "Open Core" exclusively, or do you use the commercial
> offering too? I know the "Open Core" thing it supposed to make me feel
> secure, but I what I read is, "Not All Open".

I use only the open source version. Maybe I just don't know what I'm
missing, but I review the list of closed-source zenpacks every now and
again and so far none of them have seemed to be a must-have for my
environment.

Corey