Powerline Ethernet adapters & UPS?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 09:04:05 MDT 2013

On 03/11/2013 05:31 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
> Hey, has anyone ever used PowerLine Ethernet adapters that have been
> plugged into UPS modules? I've got three computers that I'm placing in my
> new home that PXE boot from a fourth. Wi-Fi won't work since I can't
> associate the Wireless NIC with an AccessPoint before the Bios/UEFI tries
> to obtain a DHCP address, and I don't want them all in the same room due to
> noise/heat concerns.

There are wireless bridges that might work for you.  That way the
computer still sees a normal ethernet cable, but that is connected to wifi.

> Therefore, Powerline Ethernet seems to be the best
> option for me. But I don't believe they work in the event of power loss.
> Therefore I'd need a UPS (and I have a couple). But wouldn't the UPS scrub
> the network signal from the powerline in the course of it's normal
> operation, considering it just powerline noise? How can I (or CAN I?)
> maintain a network signal during a blackout/brownout/whatever?

Yes you are probably correct.  Depending on the type of UPS you have,
it's likely that the wall signal goes into the batter, and then through
the inverter to your computer.

> I can
> combine things as much as possible, but heat and noise really cause a
> requirement of two rooms minimum. Say the main workstation in the front
> room and the others in an empty bedroom or something? Right now I just use
> two empty bedrooms and drag a cable between them, but that won't work in
> the new house.

Perhaps the wifi bridge is the best idea.