Hard Disk IDs in Linux

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 05:35:42 MDT 2013

>I would not recommend using that many drives in a single RAID array.

>failure.  Personally I wouldn't use more than 10 drives per RAID6, but

The idea of stringing the RAIDs together has it's merit. Would I just mdadm
to create a separate /dev/mdX out of the various mdXs already created? I.e.
suppose I put eight drives per array. Using a 32 disk rackmount case gives
me a result of md0 - md3. Would I create an md4 that's a raid 0 of md0 -
md3? Or would I perhaps be better off using logical volume manager (which
I've never used before but can look up if needed).

The thing I was trying to accomplish with the larger array was the large
amount of disk space available. I.e. if I fill the enclosure with 32 4TB
drives and make a single raid 6 I wind up with 120TB of available storage.
On the other hand, if I was to make four equal array of 8 drives each in
raid 6 then I loose not just 8TB total but 8TB per array, or 32TB total,
leaving me with 96TB, which is still a good amount of storage, but also
quite literally only 75% of the disk capacity. If anyone knows a good way
to increase the disk capacity availability to raise it above 75%
(preferably back up to the 90% range) I'm all ears.

Thanks!

--- Dan

P.S. The stars are part of the security I have to go through. I believe it
indicates to anyone looking that the content has been scanned and there is
nothing to flag the message as needing further scrutiny. I did mention how
tight security is here. They are NOT added by my client. However, my client
doesn't send directly to gmail, unfortunately. I can't. I have to go
through the corporate middleman, which is where the stars are getting
added. I've sent a message to the sysadmin asking if he/they can stop using
the stars or there is some way to avoid them appearing in my mails. We'll
see what they say and if it happens.