Raspberry Pi & standard USB Wi-Fi

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Fri Mar 8 09:32:56 MST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Hey, has anyone used that Raspberry Pi single-board-computer? I'm looking
> into getting something like that setup as a tinker project but had a couple
> of questions. If someone knows the answers to these, please let me know.
> Thanks!*
>
> * *
>
> *1) What kind of power supply device do I need to get the Pi running, and
> where can I get one?*

Any Micro-USB power source will work, though some might be better than others.
Examples:
iPhone charger plus Micro USB cable
Micro USB cable plugged into your computer
Android phone charger
etc.

> *2) I know the Pi has USB ports on it. Does that mean I could take a
> standard USB Wi-Fi adapter like I'd grab from Staples off the shelf and
> make it work on the Pi?*

Yes, many of them will work.
I use one from Monoprice and it works great.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050108&p_id=8072&seq=1&format=2

> *3) Has anyone heard how well PC centric programs like Wine would work on
> it? Not for major things or games, but smaller things like maybe Quicken or
> maybe some Windows based file sharing program like Shareaza or something? *

I don't think Wine runs on ARM

> *4) What is a safe surface to place the Pi on so as to avoid excess static?
> I know the device doesn't have a case of it's own so is it safe to, for
> example, leave the pi in it's box while it's running? This is in case my
> Niece & Nephew come to visit. Especially my Nephew loves to look at
> anything that is electronic and then frequently leaves it on the floor.
> Since most of my home is carpet that could lead to a catastrophic static
> buildup. I figured if it's in it's box (or some other generic container)
> then he (and she for that matter, although not as much) are less likely to
> grab it, and if they DO grab it it would theoretically survive being
> dragged across the carpet a few feet.*

Buy a case for it.  There are *tons* of options.
Adafruit carries a ton of them.  http://adafruit.com/category/105
Element 14 carries some nice ones too.
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productListing.jsp?SKUS=92T3300,92T3299,44W3465&ICID=Pi_SeeMoreCases

> *5) What's the biggest SD Card you've ever heard of running on the Pi? The
> mentions I saw of it spoke of 4GB and 8GB cards. I would hope it supports
> at least 64GB cards. Do cards go above 128GB? It seems to me I've heard of
> 256GB cards but I could be mistaken.*

I currently use a 32GB card, and it works great.  Buying a faster card
helps too.  The Raspberry Pi supports up to Class 10, IIRC.

> *6) Since it's a distribution of Debian (even if modified) that runs on it,
> I'm assuming standard tools like Firefox and such can be found without the
> need to try and compile them on the Pi (compiling the latest Firefox on a
> 700MHz cpu would take a lot of time I'd rather skip). Has anyone heard
> differently?*

The official distribution, Raspbian, contains plenty of packages.  But
it's not the only distro you can to use.  You can use Arch or even
Fedora