Video Cards

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 09:10:03 MST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Joshua Marsh <joshua at themarshians.com>wrote:

> I've pretty much exclusively used ATI(AMD). Until recently, I was even
> running a myth box with an ATI card. All have worked well for me. I've used
> both the open source and proprietary drivers. Last time I tested, I got
> better FPS with the proprietary drivers.
>
> You'll want to check the driver website before buying. Some older cards are
> no longer supported by the proprietary drivers.

If you are not one to keep your computers up-to-date with the latest video
hardware (or if you get a laptop and plan on using it for a few years)
don't expect to continue using the ATI closed-source driver long-term.
They're pretty aggressive at deprecating older cards, and an OS upgrade
could suddenly break your video rendering.  Unless your laptop is close to
obsolescence when you buy it, its useful life will extend well beyond the
range of ATI binary driver support.  Fortunately, the open-source driver is
pretty good these days, so once you realize why X won't start anymore you
can switch to it and get back to business.

I haven't used nvidia cards enough to comment on how well their binary
drivers support older cards.

    --Levi