Backing Up Everything to Removable Disks

Merrill Oveson moveson at
Fri Mar 1 07:49:29 MST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Tod Hansmann < at> wrote:
> I'm looking at replacing work's current tape backup system.

Here's what I do.  It works pretty well.  All software is free and
it's really simple.
I have to backup svn server, linux database servers, windows domain, etc.

I have a weekly 2 TB external drive attached to my windows domain.
(For quarterly, yearly backups I have a 3 TB drive.)

Cron jobs either on Windows or Linux run capturing the data and
compressing it onto the external drive.
(On the Windows domain Server, I run 7zip on a scheduler.)

Currently, I backup 4TB of data each week.

Restoring data that people accidentally delete, etc has been a snap.

Yeah, get rid of the tapes.  Too slow to backup, too slow to restore
and too easy to break and too unreliable.
Those are so 20th century.