Most Used Commands

Eric Wald eswald at brainshell.org
Fri Jun 28 01:01:51 MDT 2013

On Jun 28, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Ok dumb question, but is there a difference between aptitude and apt-get?
> They seem to work equally well.  Why would you choose one over the other,
> except when performing a copy/pasta?

apt-get feels marginally faster because it doesn't do extra dependency
tree building when it doesn't need to.  aptitude has convenient show and
why commands, and auto-completes more easily.  For scripts, I prefer
apt-get, after encountering machines without aptitude.

aptitude also has a search command, where apt-get uses the separate
apt-cache command for searches.  There are times to use each; apt-cache
is more thorough, but if you know part of the package name, then
aptitude is more concise.

Then there's aptitude's gui mode, but I find Synaptic far superior.

- Eric