A well thought out and relevant article on KSL?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Jun 26 16:42:36 MDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now does anyone know of free privacy oriented email alternatives?  I'm
> considering leaving gmail.  This is nothing personal against google but
> I've realized I've gotten lazy and managed to put all of my eggs in 1
> basket.

Are you worried about Google specifically, or the NSA/Gov't.

If the latter, moving to a new provider won't help you.

Hosting your own mail may protect your data that is "at rest" from
government subpoenas and such, but it has no effect on data "in
transit", nor does it affect emails at the sender's storage (they
might be using Gmail).  Email in transit can be snooped by lots of
people, including NSA/Gov't.  To protect that you'd need to use
encryption, but that won't protect email to people that can't use
encryption too, nor does it protect metadata in the headers like
sender and recipient addresses.

Email + privacy is extremely difficult.  If you want real
communication privacy you shouldn't use email.  Find something else,
like a private XMPP server w/ TLS and OTR.