proxy mirror/cache

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Jun 26 16:28:10 MDT 2013

On Jun 26, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Wade Shearer <wadeshearer.lists at me.com> wrote:

> I manage internet at a facility where internet speeds are insufficient. Increasing the speeds is not an option. The primary issue is streaming video. Most of the video is played from a single website. So, I'm looking into the possibility of setting up some sort of proxy that mirrors the content internally. I'd like it to be seamless so that when the files are requested, the user is oblivious to the fact that they are getting a local, cached version. The video changes infrequently so it could have a long expiration date.
>
> What would it take to make something like this work?

Squid is a general-purpose web cache that can act as a transparent proxy. I would get it working (for all websites) as a first step and see where you are.

If the video in question is served as normal files over HTTP then Squid will get you what you want. Just make sure the max object size in cache setting is big enough to accommodate the files. If the video is marked as dynamic (non cacheable) and/or is served via some weird Flash mechanism then Squid may or may not be able to help. It will, however, give you logs about what it sees.

JN