System Ram Not Completely Recognized

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Wed Jun 26 16:09:50 MDT 2013

I have an AMD A6 that I use as a development server in my office. I have two similar 4 GB
sticks of ram installed in the proper channel and the BIOS recognizes 8192MB ram in
unganged mode.

The system has an integrated Radeon HD blahblahblah video chipset and in the BIOS I have it
set to 64MB, so the IGP should not be the issue.

I have been running CentOS 6.4 which only recognized 5.3 GB of ram installed. I decided to
play a test and see if Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or even 13.04 would recognize more ram. I downloaded
Kubuntu 13.04 (live desktop) and booted it on this system. I swear up and down it recognized
all 8GB of ram, so I decided to dump CentOS and I installed Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS and only
recognized 6GB of ram. So then I installed Ubuntu Server 13.04 and it only recognizes 6GB of
ram. I booted the system with the Kubuntu disc again and it says 6GB of ram, so I must have
misread it initially. Anyway, I now have 6GB instead of 5.3 which is a step in the right direction.

What else could be causing this issue? Yes, this is ubuntu-13.04-amd64. Is there a command I
can feed grub to force recognition? Google is returning everything under the sun for 32-bit pae
and 6gb of ram, which do not apply to me!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
Regards,

Nathan England