Diagnosing screen lock problem on Unity?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 15:44:14 MDT 2013

Ok I'll admit it, I think I like the Unity desktop better than most of the
others I've played with lately.  I mean I love LXDE because it's
lightweight and fast, but something about Unity seems to work better for
me, perhaps because I'm left handed so having the tiles down the left hand
side just feels a bit more natural.

One complaint though.  I can't just walk away from my system.  Since
installing Unity I've not been able to get the screen lock function to
work.  If I hit ctrl+alt+delete and select lock, nothing happens.  In fact
I have to shut the lid on my laptop to get lock to work.  That makes no
sense.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot issues
with Unity?  I'm guessing there is a log somewhere and that my answer is
contained in it, but doing a "locate *unity*" returns nothing that looks
like a log file to me.

Thanks!