Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Kyle Waters unum at unum5.org
Wed Jun 26 13:33:59 MDT 2013

On 06/26/2013 12:59 PM, Jessie A. Morris wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:50:13 Kyle Waters wrote:
> Since I am not an expert at everything I only purchase things from
> vendors whose insurance agencies are reputable. I verify that the
> merchant actually does have a policy through Super Insurance Utah and
> since he does I know that: 1. The insurance agency has checked out
> this guy's wares to make sure they live up to his claims. Since
> they'll be paying for my death (my family sues them and the insurance
> agency has to pay out) they have a good incentive to make sure he's
> legit. 2. I know that the insurance agency will pay out if I die.

I think people have tried to explain this to me before your explanation
is by far the best I've seen.

Elements of this to exist in our society and I think they can be a
really good way of handling things.  The problem that happens in our
society (and maybe in a better educated society we could prevent it).
Is that Super Insurance Utah makes a bad call.  Hundreds of claims are
filed.  Super Insurance Utah closes down.  Now all the companies are
insured by Excellent Insurance Utah.  Of course I do my due diligence
and find that Excellent Insurance Utah is all the same people.  Now I
can either switch to a set of store all insured by equally bad companies
or I can become a sustenance farmer.

But of course there will always be stores with good insurance
companies!!  Actually there won't be.  It's called the market for
lemons.  Since consumers only have to make a decision about one
product(insurance) I guess the argument would be that they could spend
the time to do that right.   I just don't believe they will. Of course
currently we manage all this by selecting a product called a politician
where research has shown our decision making isn't much better.

Kyle