Defining Libertarianism (was Defining Terrorism)

Jessie A. Morris jessie at jessieamorris.com
Wed Jun 26 09:51:58 MDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 16:51:55 Lonnie Olson wrote:
> Interesting.  I find these ideas fascinating.
>
> Perhaps i'm a bit pessimistic, but I don't think either of these ideas
> would work for very long.  I think it's human nature to exploit others
> for personal gain.  This will eventually cause all non-regulated
> anarchies and/or non-regulated capitalistic societies to eventually
> lead to monopoly, de-facto dictator, and general bourgeoisie vs.
> proletariat society, followed by revolution.

And that's worse than what we have now? Currently we have a group of people
that have total and complete control of the whole nation with very little
recourse. Why are the people we elect any better than the people we give our
money to for services and goods? Do you really think that Senators and
Congressmen don't have these same urges? And what they do is generally
considered "legitimate" since the majority voted for them. Is it really that
legitimate when the *actual* majority didn't vote? If voting turnout is ~50%,
that means that over half of the people voted for no one. How is that at all
legitimate?

In all seriousness, the thoughts are that private entities would arise to help
prevent these bad things from happening. Insurance companies (not as they are
in their current, bastardized form, but in their original form) start becoming
much more integral.

You want your house insured? Most insurance places require you to enroll in a
private security program. Reputation is also much more important than it once
was. Since technology makes the world much smaller, you can more easily check
to see if this person is a known "reputable" merchant/customer/etc.

Monopolies cannot easily exist without Government intervention. In fact,
Government is *the* biggest monopoly ever. It has a total and complete
Monopoly on "legitimate" force in a given area. Using said force, they can
create monopolies in anything else. See liquor stores in Utah, utility
companies, etc.

If a company provides a good enough service at a good enough rate, who cares
if they have the majority of that industries business? Obviously they're
providing a good enough value to continue using them. And in an Anarcho-
Capitalist system, you have your personal protection agency that protects you
from gangs, thugs, evil corporations, etc.

The other answer I can give you is, "I have no clue what things will be like,
but the market will provide a way."

--
Jessie A. Morris
801-210-1526