Most Used Commands

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 06:53:48 MDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:27 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious but my bash history shows no commands where I've prefixed the
> command with a space.
> Is that a security hole, a design decision or is my version of bash screwed
> up?
> Seems like that would be sort of vital problem to overcome if you were
> tracking a breakin.

It's a design decision, which can be toggled:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-bash-history-more-efficiently-histcontrol

But if I were an attacker, the bash history would be one of the first
things I disabled and deleted. If you're trying to analyze a break-in,
you'll have to rely on other tools.

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,