Most Used Commands

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Tue Jun 25 17:52:14 MDT 2013

On Tue, June 25, 2013 17:37, Joshua Marsh wrote:
[snip]
> My root wasn't very interesting. The only thing more than 10 was pacman. I
> am apparently an avid ls user. I've noticed though that I always 'ls' after
> a 'cd'. Perhaps that's a bad habit I should git rid of.
[snip]

I wonder if that is telling us something about how our brains work. I often do
the same thing. Directories aren't "landmarks" - the files are. Directories
are more like streets or roads. I usually tab complete to get a listing (they
don't show up in command history). However, I will often use ls/tab to add
data to a "working context" that informs my brain where I am and what I am
doing. Directory isn't enough.

Same thing in the real world. I know that McDonalds is on Main street in Lehi.
But I can never remember the cross street. McDonalds is the context for
whatever cross street that is. Main street is the directory. McDonalds is the
file. And the cross-street is a sub-directory that leads to more landmarks
("files"). Like that Wingers down by State Street. Or the Big O Tires.

-Ryan