Most Used Commands

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 17:30:04 MDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 05:15 PM, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> I am installing a new system. I wanted to know which commands I use most
> frequently on my older systems so I could be sure they were added to the new
> box. I chose a VM I am often on and analyzed my bash history. The results,
> quite frankly, surprised me. Taking in to account the last 6000 commands run:
> * I have ran 67 uniq commands as my regular user
> * I have ran 90 uniq commands as root.
>
> Below are the top ten commands I've used:
> # Regular User
>      311 ssh
>      100 less
>       69 ls
>       64 screen
>       59 ping
>       58 su
>       50 whois
>       48 vim
>       48 dig
>       29 cd
>
> # Root
>      248 ls
>      148 salt
>      103 cd
>       95 vim
>       53 service
>       37 tail
>       39 cat
>       38 yum
>       35 git
>       28 rm
>

> This got me thinking. How does this list compare to the top commands used by
> other PLUGers? If you are trying to figure out what skills to add to your
> ninja belt, what can your command history teach you? One thing I've learned is
> that I should probably study up on the options to 'ls' ;-)
>
> -Ryan

I've run 271 Uniq commands as a regular user ( Work workstation )
  Top 10:
    1022 cvs
     812 vim
     806 ls
     559 fg
     553 cd
     463 yaourt
     312 perl
     247 grep
     207 ping
     204 sudo

And 17 as root
  Top 10:
      20 pacman
       5 vim
       4 yaourt
       3 ls
       2 lspci
       2 fg
       2 dmesg
       1 uname
       1 tail
       1 rm

I use zsh as my weapon of choice. My home system, I imagine isn't much
different, with the exception of git replacing cvs.

--
John D Jones III
Perl/Javascript/Systemd Zealot
unixgeek1972 at gmail.com