Defining Terrorism

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Tue Jun 25 13:32:44 MDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 03:24:33 PM Daniel C. wrote:

> Seriously, dude?  Really?  You're going to compare "My kids can't go
> to school" and "my house might burn down" with "I might be minding my
> own business when suddenly my body is ripped to shreds in a thunderous
> explosion, and there is absolutely no way I can predict when or where
> this might happen"?
>
> Don't be ridiculous.  Budget cuts aren't terrorism, and using the word
> terrorism to describe them waters down the meaning of the word and
> cheapens the reality of people who actually live in terror that their
> lives may be snuffed out at any moment for no reason.
>
> That, incidentally, is my definition of terror: the threat that you
> might die at any moment, and that you have no reasonable recourse or
> option to avoid sudden death from an anonymous source.  By "no
> reasonable recourse or option" I mean that there is nothing you can do
> without substantially upsetting your life that will keep you safe:
> converting to Islam, staying indoors constantly, and moving yourself
> and your entire family to a different country all count as
> unreasonable.  Getting mugged, having your house burn down and not
> having a place to store the kids during the day don't qualify.

I don't disagree with you. But in the real world, terrorism is not defined as "death by explosion"
at the least convenient time. Terrorism is defined as someone who incites terror.

Plenty of government agencies and political groups use fear to coerce people to do what they
want, how is that not terrorism? You scare the crap out of people so they fear for their own lives.

Personally, I like your definition. Unfortunately, that is not how the dictionary characterizes it. I
am not watering it down by including political groups, the government did when they began
labelling me because I cary a bible with me and my wife and girls dress like women instead of
two bit whores.

Oh, I also carry a pocket constitution with me.

It's okay to label me as a terrorist, so long as I don't say the government is involved also? I'm
beginning to wonder whose side you are on!

-Nathan