Tier I datacenter in the garage?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 12:27:13 MDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 12:14 PM, Lloyd Brown wrote:

> Or you could use the square-hole racks and cage nuts, which is my
> preference.  That way you can use any of the "rapid-rails" that the
> equipment might have come with, and if you strip the threads, you just
> throw away the cage nut, and install another.
>
> Every once-in-a-while I have to install something in a direct-threaded
> rack, and I'm always really annoyed.

Definitely square-holed racks are nice.  And our servers had rails that
just snapped in with no screws at all.  But even with my cnc plasma
table I don't think I could cheaply and effectively make a homemade rack
with square holes especially with standard mild steel 1/8" angle stock.

Maybe if I had a nice punch and dye I could do it easily enough, using
thinner stainless steel stock or something.  Food for thought...