Tier I datacenter in the garage?

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Tue Jun 25 12:14:59 MDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 12:09 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Most of the racks I worked with at BYU were made out of aluminum, and
> that's pretty soft.  But if you're careful putting in the screws and
> don't cross-thread them, the threads lasted just fine for many years.
> No the aluminum racks are probably between 3/16" and 1/4" thick so there
> are plenty of threads.  Even if you build out of steel you'll probably
> use 1/8" steel, and even that should last a long time if you are always
> careful when inserting screws to never ding up the threads or
> cross-thread it.

Or you could use the square-hole racks and cage nuts, which is my
preference.  That way you can use any of the "rapid-rails" that the
equipment might have come with, and if you strip the threads, you just
throw away the cage nut, and install another.

Every once-in-a-while I have to install something in a direct-threaded
rack, and I'm always really annoyed.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab