Tier I datacenter in the garage?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 12:09:50 MDT 2013

On 06/25/2013 10:02 AM, keith smith wrote:

> I like it.  I was toying with the idea of having a friend make a
> small rack out of angle iron. I wonder how many times you will be
> able to remove and replace any of the screws before you have
> problems.

Most of the racks I worked with at BYU were made out of aluminum, and
that's pretty soft.  But if you're careful putting in the screws and
don't cross-thread them, the threads lasted just fine for many years.
No the aluminum racks are probably between 3/16" and 1/4" thick so there
are plenty of threads.  Even if you build out of steel you'll probably
use 1/8" steel, and even that should last a long time if you are always
careful when inserting screws to never ding up the threads or
cross-thread it.