Tier I datacenter in the garage?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 10:07:23 MDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Lonnie Olson <lists at kittypee.com> wrote:

> In a garage environment you may have issues with cooling and
> dust,dirt,bugs.  You'd have to make the judgement on the
> dust,dirt,bugs issue, though I guess it would probably be just fine.
> As far as cooling goes, the summers in Utah can get hot, but in a
> shaded garage you'll probably be ok, however you might not get the
> longevity you'd expect from a server.  Other options include:
> Insulating the garage and cooling the whole room; using some form of
> vinyl tent over your rack and cooling that.  As far as a rack go, why
> bother getting a fancy rack for a home/garage setup, get a LACK rack
> from IKEA (http://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack)

If you insulate and air condition your whole garage, be sure you do so
in a way that is in compliance with building codes.  Hooking garages
intended for car storage up to your home's central AC is a problem,
but it may be okay if the garage is sufficiently converted.  But yeah,
non-insulated garages tend to trap heat, somewhat like attics, and
would definitely not be a friendly environment for a server.  A nice
tightly-enclosed room in the corner of a garage with its own AC unit,
on the other hand, would probably be more friendly than in the main
part of your home with all the dust that living in it creates.  These
are probably obvious, but I thought I'd bring up potential building
code issues just in case.

       --Levi