Tier I datacenter in the garage?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Jun 25 09:51:48 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to stick a rack in my garage and put in some servers so I can
> do what I've been doing with AWS.  That is rapidly prototype a bunch of
> ideas and get some proof of concepts up either to satisfy my own curiosity
> or to show potential customers/clients if any of these ideas actually work
> out.

In a garage environment you may have issues with cooling and
dust,dirt,bugs.  You'd have to make the judgement on the
dust,dirt,bugs issue, though I guess it would probably be just fine.
As far as cooling goes, the summers in Utah can get hot, but in a
shaded garage you'll probably be ok, however you might not get the
longevity you'd expect from a server.  Other options include:
Insulating the garage and cooling the whole room; using some form of
vinyl tent over your rack and cooling that.  As far as a rack go, why
bother getting a fancy rack for a home/garage setup, get a LACK rack
from IKEA (http://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack)