Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:42:55 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Several weeks ago it came out that Obama has everyone's census data and will be using it in future elections.  This is the short clip.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIA1lQBqH1s
>
> I think the census is for districting and number of U.S.Representatives.
>
> I do not understand why anyone would want the gov to collect all this info.  What do they use it for?
>
> Is it safe?  Not at all.  Anyone who thinks otherwise has not been paying attention.

Safe for what?  Safe for liberty?  Liberty is not "safe" for liberty,
by definition.

So what's the key to preserving liberty?  Well, that is a complex
question and has complex answers, because it is intimately attached to
people and human behavior.  But I can tell you one thing.  People have
to want liberty in order to preserve it.  And at times, it can fall
pretty low on the priority list.  You can quote things until you're
blue in the face, but people naturally place a high value on safety
and security *now* over just about anything in the future, and they
are not entirely wrong in doing so.

How do you convince people to re-prioritize?  Well, I certainly don't
know.  But I know several ways *not* to do it.  Being "right" is not
actually very convincing to other human beings, especially when
demonstrated as part of a pointed argument, or when presented from a
hostile or unfamiliar ground.  Angry rants are not convincing, unless
you only want to convince people already sympathetic to your views and
already angry themselves.  It may make you feel better to get praise
on your sermon from the choir, and I say this from experience, but
It's not actually very helpful in promoting your cause.

Take from this what you will, I have to get back to work.

      --Levi