Defining Terrorism

Steve Meyers steve at plug.org
Tue Jun 25 08:20:27 MDT 2013

On 6/24/13 10:22 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Terrorism - The act of inciting terror for the purposes of spreading an
> ideology.
> Also Miriam Webster defines it as "the systematic use of terror especially
> as a means of coercion"
>
> Either works fine.
>
> See
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_republic#The_original_banana_republic
>
> and
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_the_Mexican_Revolution#U.S._military_decorations
>
> for specific details of where I'm coming from on that claim.
>
> We've been actively engaged in similar operations for longer and there are
> also more recent events, these were just the ones I could remember off the
> top of my head.
> I mean you do know that we trained Osama Bin Laden ourselves, and we also
> aided directly in the overthrow of the lawful government of Iran.  These
> are documented facts that our own government admits to.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

I'm going to have to disagree with you here.  I'm not saying that any of
these things you bring up were affairs the U.S. should have been
involved in, but I don't think they qualify as "terrorism".  Meddling in
the affairs of other countries?  Yes, definitely.  But I'm just not
seeing anything in the links you provided to support your suggestion
that the U.S. is involved in terrorism.

The closest would be Operation Cyclone, since that led to Osama bin
Laden's rise.

Steve