Times to move to Linux

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 20:56:14 MDT 2013

Imagine someone in a Linux users group evangelizing Linux. :)

Ok there are ALOT of reasons to choose Linux over Windows.  The whole
NSAKEY thing is not one of them.
There is a very good explanation of the controversy over on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

However if you're going to look at the whole NSAKEY thing and say that this
is evidence that windows has an NSA backdoor, you need to assume that Linux
does too.
I mean seriously have you ever looked at who exactly it was that designed
and built SELinux?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

Perhaps we should all move on to OpenBSD *ducks* :)

Here are the facts.  The NSA has 2 primary directives.  The first directive
is to analyse foreign signals intelligence.  The second directive is to
actively work to secure the information infrastructure of the US
Government, especially the more sensitive bits.  If I had to take a guess I
would say that both NSAKEY and  SELinux are part of the second directive.
For instance the NSAKEY would make sense in a situation where the NSA needs
to look at the source code of drivers, tighten them up, then deploy them.
Seems logical that windows would allow a driver signed by the NSA without
any knowledge of the fact from Microsoft et al, especially in light of how
many .gov workstations are running some flavor or another of windows
doesn't it?  I mean imagine for a second how embarrassing it would be for
an aircraft carrier on it's maiden voyage to be compromised by a rootkit
installed via a drive by download from a sailor surfing porn while at sea.
Then imagine that rootkit had some really nasty bits that then went on to
compromise the movements and secrets of the entire Pacific Fleet.  Of
course nothing like that could have ever happened during my time in the
military, so I wouldn't be violating the law by disclosing it, just imagine
it as a hypothetical. :)