Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Jun 24 16:59:56 MDT 2013

On 06/10/2013 12:33 PM, Nathan England wrote:
> On Monday, June 10, 2013 10:23:49 AM Matthew Frederico wrote:
>> Thoughts?
>

> Oh well. Matthew has a good point. At least *this* is doing something. Of course, it's
> much harder when you've got a wife and a handful of kids to take care of...

I hear that.  My wife and I had a very serious conversation when we were
"chosen" ("you've been chosen") for the special US census survey that
asked all kinds of private details (mortgage values, commute times, home
values, medical insurance information, etc), and filling it out was
required by law under threat of both fines and jail time for not
complying.  It was the spammiest thing I've ever gotten outside of
please-helpme-move-massive-sum-to-your-bank-account emails.  My wife and
I began a very serious discussion about how far we were willing to go to
protest the intrusive census; a survey we felt was far in excess of the
census designated in the constitution.  We wrote letters to our
representatives, made a stink on facebook, talked to everyone we knew
about it, and began making backup plans in case things got ugly.  We had
a number of sleepless nights, and were very grateful to Ron Paul for
proposing that participation in the census be changed from mandatory to
voluntary, and the federal penalties dropped.

We all probably did the same thing last year with the SOPA fiasco. We
wrote letters, signed petitions, blacked-out websites.  Granted, writing
letters is not likely to quickly return us to the glory days of the late
18th century, but the response I've seen from the untold number of
people writing letters has been surprising to me.

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell