Tier I datacenter in the garage?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 09:14:37 MDT 2013

I know a guy who runs multiple servers out of his garage.  He built a wooden enclosure with shelves made of wood.  He uses portable a/c units to keep everything cool.

I have one server that I run out of my home office that connects via Cox Business. It was an experiment, a vehicle to learn from, and something to blog about.  So far so good.

What if you were to buy or build a reasonably powerful server that would allow visualization?  Then you could build servers to your heart content with less to manage hardware wise and no need to buy or build a rack.. A/C... etc.  Just put the box in your home office.

If you are paying $100 a month for AWS, then you will probably save money, however you will spend more time managing your own server(s).  That is the trade off.  And of course you will have more control.

Keith Smith