Tier I datacenter in the garage?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 02:41:38 MDT 2013

Wow I know, nerdy title huh?  Sounds like something out of slashdot, but
here's what's going on.

Short story, I have Utopia and some downtime.  So I also have a bunch of
projects going on that I'm currently hosting on AWS infrastructure.  Most
of these are proof of concept things and spinning up an AWS instance and
slapping up something is a great way to prototype.

Nevertheless my AWS bill is starting to get spendy.
I have a 100MB Utopia fiber connection coming into the house and I have a
garage that has a ton of excess floor space.  The garage door doesn't work
and the only access is via the house through a door in the kitchen.

I would like to stick a rack in my garage and put in some servers so I can
do what I've been doing with AWS.  That is rapidly prototype a bunch of
ideas and get some proof of concepts up either to satisfy my own curiosity
or to show potential customers/clients if any of these ideas actually work
out.

Mid July I'm expecting payment for a couple of projects I worked on while
in Ecuador and I think I'd like to invest that in a rack and some boxes to
stick in it.  I only have a small car so I wouldn't be able to bring it
here, but if anyone is willing to sell me a rack and possibly bring it here
I would love to know about it.  Also if anyone has some boxes they would
like to let go cheap, I would love to hear about those as well.

Thanks in advance!

p.s.  Not sure if I mentioned this, but I am back from Ecuador now.