Home wiring.

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon Jun 17 12:42:13 MDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.plug at whiteley.org> wrote:
> I'm doing some remodeling and need to run some data cables.  What's
> the best thing to run these days?  Is cat5e sufficient?
>
> If I don't have time to run the wires myself, what sort of person
> would I be looking to hire?

Cat5e is sufficient for most use cases, but choosing Cat6 will likely
be more future proof, and probably worth the higher cost.
Running fiber is still too expensive and generally not worth the extra
cost and complexity (fiber, converters, switches, etc) for the minor
benefits (possible future capability of 10gE).  Also, Cat5e or Cat6
will likely get you at least 10 years of usefulness before the need to
replace it.

You might also want to consider running the wire through conduits.
This will make the change to something else in the distant future much
easier.  However it will increase your costs dramatically.  You'll
have to weigh the benefits of doing so with your budget, future plans,
etc.

Wireless is convenient, but if you are remodeling anyway your barrier
to start on real wiring is so low, it's an obvious win.

If you don't want to wire it yourself, there are tons of companies
that do wiring professionally.
I personally recommend TCS (http://www.tcsphones.com), a local
provider in SLC.  I've been working with them for years, good prices,
great work, and amazing service.