Home wiring.

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Sun Jun 16 21:57:22 MDT 2013

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 09:52:24 PM Bart Whiteley wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Hongyi Gao <hongyi_gao at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > It's called conduit
> >
> >> consider running the Ethernet cables
> >> inside pipe, so that at some time in the future you can use it to pull
> >> its replacement, whatever that will be. I haven't done this, so can't
> >> vouch for how much extra work it will be.
>
> Does that really work?  Unless it's going in a straight line, I have a
> hard time imagining pulling ethernet cables through conduit over any
> non-trivial distance due to the aggregate cable-on-conduit friction.

Also, the only thing to likely replace cat5e cable, unless you really want
cat6, which is not necessarily faster, but certainly more expensive! is
probably fiber. And I'd pay to see you replace your old aging cat5e with fiber
by "pulling" it through your cables...

Good luck with that!

I don't see cat5e being replaced in home wiring systems for many years to
come. FDI is just too expensive and not necessary for home use. 10Gbps nics in
each room pulling HD movie rips from a central server would be overkill, which
means it would last for years to come.