Random Linux Tip - Filtering Mail With Procmail

Rich rich at dranek.com
Thu Jun 13 14:38:07 MDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 02:22:48PM -0600, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>On Thu, June 13, 2013 13:48, Rich wrote:
>>
>> What are your thoughts on using Sieve [1,2] instead of procmail?
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_(mail_filtering_language)
>> [2] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve
>
>This seems like the perfect thing for a PLUG presentation. Showing how to
>config and use Sieve would be great. It looks very powerful. Perhaps a bit
>more complicated that procmail because of that power. Maybe that is a wrong
>impression. Just one question: Will you do it?

Thanks for asking, but I don't have enough free time currently for such
a task.

I run postfix/dovecot on my VPS and have Sieve working with Dovecot. It
wasn't that hard to configure. I have a sieve script I wrote that does
very basic things (file mailing list emails into their own folders, mark
certain emails as read automatically, etc), if there's interest I can
post it. You're right, you can do really powerful stuff with Sieve, I
just haven't had occasion to use it yet.

One cool thing I like about Sieve is the Managesieve [1] service, so a
user can configure, edit, and check the syntax of sieve scripts without
having to ssh into the mail server or anything. There's a fantastic
Thunderbird extension [2] that does this. Unfortunately, I'm more
inclined to Mutt and I haven't yet found a good standalone ManageSieve
client. But it's not like I need to update my sieve script that often,
either.

[1] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/ManageSieve
[2] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/sieve/

--