Plug topics

Sasha Pachev sasha at
Tue Jun 11 12:05:15 MDT 2013

>Remember when PLUG actually discussed Linux issues, before turning
>into BYUTV (or the 700 Club)?
>I miss the good old days :(

I think you have a good point. While I enjoy wild discussions and at times
throw in some thoughts that keep them going, I would like to see the higher
rate of technical to philosophical. So, I suppose, if you want to see
something, you need to take a step towards making it happen. My personal
style is  to throw out challenges. So here is an algorithmic challenge.

Part 1 - easy, you frequently see this in job interviews. Maybe not anymore
because everybody knows it. You have a list of N unordered elements that
contains unique numbers from 1 to N+1 with one missing. Using the amount of
RAM that will be the same regardless of N can you find the missing number
in one pass? Hint if you need one - remember how Gauss annoyed his math

Part 2 - harder - can you do this if two numbers are missing?  Is your
solution robust enough to avoid register overflow? Can you do it without
resorting to BigInt arithmetic?

Sasha Pachev

Fast Running Blog.
Run. Blog. Improve. Repeat.