Personal Cloud (was: Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?)

John Shaver bobjohnbob at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 10:04:39 MDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Joshua Marsh <joshua at themarshians.com>wrote:

>  about all this, it reminded me of Phil Whindley's Key note at
> OWC. His talk wasn't primarily about security, but more along the lines of
> the need to have your own personal cloud. I love the idea of owning your
> own data, storing it in a place that you alone control, and using your own
> safe guards. Then if the government wanted it, I'd be the person they were
> asking.

I have thought of this on many occasions and how it would be best to go
about this.  In particular, host my own email and DNS seems a good place to
start.  However how can you truly self host this?

Typically you would need to host this with a hosting services of some
kind.  If you host it from your home internet connection, you're still
using an ISP that can be subpenaed for information.

If you are hosting with hosting service, you can encrypt your drives and
data, but you would need to avoid virtualization, as memory and other data
processing can be monitored by the hosting environment.

I'm wondering if any others have put much thought into this, or implemented
their own?  I don't really have a question, it just seems like an
interesting topic for discussion. :)

-John