Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Tue Jun 11 09:54:03 MDT 2013

I finally got a chance to look at all of the leaked material and I have say
that based on what Snowden shared, I'm glad he did. We need whistle blowers
in government to protect us. Even in a perfect government, there would
still need to be some secrecy (IMO much less secrecy than we have now).
It's pretty clear in the court order that even if Google or Verizon wanted
to say something about the information sharing, they couldn't. Being a
Google fan boi, I'd like to hope their blog post is accurate, but given the
strong wording in the court order of making the requests public and rumors
of a judge recently ruling Google had to obey the court orders, I'm pretty
concerned about privacy, the cloud, etc.

In reading about all this, it reminded me of Phil Whindley's Key note at
OWC. His talk wasn't primarily about security, but more along the lines of
the need to have your own personal cloud. I love the idea of owning your
own data, storing it in a place that you alone control, and using your own
safe guards. Then if the government wanted it, I'd be the person they were
asking.