Marriage (How the heck did we get here? Was RE: Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?)

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon Jun 10 15:56:10 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Daniel C. <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:
> They already have the strictly legal options of powers of attorney and
> all of that.  It's not a power of attorney that they want - it's the
> label of "marriage" that they want.

Not completely accurate.  There are some legal rights and privileges
that are still prevented even through things like Power of Attorney.
The biggest example currently is that of United States vs. Edith
Windsor.  Current case in the Supreme Court against DOMA.  This couple
had power of attorney, and lots of other legal mumbo jumbo, but the
Federal Estate Tax still discriminated against them.

But you are mostly right, there are many states that grant equivalent
rights under a new name (brand).  Hence the brand withholding is the
largest part of the discrimination.