Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Mon Jun 10 14:51:21 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Charles Curley <
charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:47:22 -0700
> Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:
>
> > Science is in large part unproven theories,
>
> Um, yeah. And this is perfectly reasonable. The job of science is not
> to prove theories, but to disprove them.

I'm not sure it's either. In my mind the goal of science it to figure out
how things work. That will often lead to some theories being proven and
others refuted.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Nathan Gilbert <nathan.gilbert at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> I think you are conflating the definition of theory in the general
> vernacular vs. the definition used in "Science (tm)".
>
> A scientific theory has a lot of evidence supporting it, years or decades
> of research with repeatable experiments. It's a false dichotomy to equate
> faith with the "Theory of Relativity".

Theories still fit what most people think of as a theory. It's a guess as
to how something works. It is a much more educated and proven guess, but
it's still a guess. We've sent things into space on these educated guesses,
but they are still guesses.