Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Mon Jun 10 13:55:13 MDT 2013

On Monday, June 10, 2013 01:39:40 PM Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:
> > God said thou shalt not kill.
>
> No. Learn your own religion better. This misunderstanding is the cause of a
> lot of veteran's guilt, often a component in PTSD.
> What was taught in the bible was not to *murder*. In fact, the bible
> explicitly condones killing in many places. Murder is the shedding of
> innocent blood--as opposed to killing people in self defense or times of
> war.

Hmmm. My bible says in Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

As I study my bible and compare scripture with scripture, I understand the difference
between

*) murder
*) self-defense
*) times of war
*) criminal punishment

Veterans have suffered unfairly because of this, I agree. But that is due in large part
to the fact that those veterans didn't read the scriptures and figure out what God was
talking about. They heard someone say that God said thou shalt not kill and they felt
guilty.

What they failed to recognize is the whole point of the ten commandments was to
point out the fact that we as humans are completely incapable of pleasing God. We
would fail no matter what we do. The purpose of the ten commandments was to be a
school master (Galatians 3:24) to bring us to Christ.

A lot of people saw that God did not approve of their actions and drank themselves
to death feeling guilty, but sadly never heard "the rest of the story(tm)"

Nathan